Tuesday, August 29, 2006

But I was still hungry afterwards.

I went out to lunch today with a group of really nice guys from a local animation company, and at one point the discussion turned towards my sister's trip to Guatemala. I was telling them that our great-uncle used to do missionary work there and he goes back every year or so and always brings people back with him - whomever wants to go (whoa-whomever? Look at me being all grammatically correct). So I told the guys that he wants me to go with him next year (or at some point) and that I was just kind of like, "eh," about the whole idea.

Then one of the guys said something that tripped me up. He said, "You should go. If you want to be a writer you should see that stuff." If I want to be a writer? I thought I already was a writer. My business cards say "Staff Writer." The masthead has "Staff Writer" under my name. I put "Writer" where it says "Occupation" when I filled out my last W-2 form. What about me is not a writer? I'm sitting her blogging right now for cry eye!

So now I'm thinking, Am I being presumptuous in calling myself a writer? Do I need to be prolific and popular to dub myself as such? Do I have to wait until I reach a certain age? Do I need to have a book published? Does someone with prestige in the field have to recognize me as a writer and deem me as one in some public forum?




Or maybe I am a writer and the guy just misspoke. Hee hee!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home